1. Capture the flag
- Grab a couple of brightly-coloured flags or markers (jumpers or towels will do).
- Divide the players into two teams, each with their own territory of bushes and trees to hide behind.
- The flags then get placed in a visible area within each team’s territory.
- Aim to steal the other team’s flag and bring it back to your base without getting caught.
- If you’re tagged, you’ll have to wait in the other team’s jail until you’re freed by a teammate.
2. Scavenger hunt
Create a checklist of outdoor objects to find like feathers, seed pods, unusual stones and acorns (or print out some of these nature hunts). First person back to base with all the items is declared the nature king or queen.
3. Down, down, down
Stand in a circle and throw a tennis ball to one another until someone fails to catch it.
That person will then have to go down on one knee. If they drop the ball again they’ll go down on both knees, followed by each of their elbows and finally lying down.
If they drop it again, they’re out. Last person standing wins!
4. Stop, thief!
- Blindfold one person (the guard) and arm them with a rolled-up newspaper.
- The other players (the thieves) should aim to steal items scattered around the guard without making any noise.
- If the guard shouts ‘stop thief!’ and manages to whack the thief with their newspaper without standing up, the item gets returned.
- The winner is whoever collects the most items without getting caught.
5. Garden Olympics
Organise a sports day event in the garden, such as discus (with a frisbee), javelin (pencil throwing) and three-legged football.
Make sure there’s an event that plays to everyone’s strengths, and hand out shiny foil medals for the winners.
6. Torch tag
A game of tag in the dark of night is twice as exciting – and perfect if you're camping. The tagger has to run around the garden with a torch, while the other players hide in shady spots and avoid the torch beam.
If the tagger manages to shine their light on you and say your name, you’ve been caught.
7. Dodge ball
Gather up lots of balls and, in two teams, aim to throw the balls at the opponent’s legs.
As long as it doesn’t bounce off something else first, that person is out – however, if the ball you’ve thrown gets caught, you’re out instead! The team with the last remaining player wins.
More outdoor games ideas