1. Sleep on a swimming pool lilo
A basic inflatable pool lilo can double as a blow-up mattress and it's cheap as chips, too. Bring some handy duct tape and you’re ready to seal any tiny holes that may appear.
2. Shower with an umbrella
Poke a few holes in an old umbrella, hang it upside down from a low-hanging branch and get a fellow camper to pour warm water in for an alfresco shower.
For privacy, hang a plastic shower curtain from the tips of the umbrella.
3. Make a bright lantern with a milk bottle
Try this quick and easy DIY camping light using an empty milk bottle and a head lamp.
4. DIY washing machine
Make a hole in a lidded bucket and stick a clean, never-used toilet plunger through the top.
Add water and detergent then plunge away – the human-powered plunging action mimics the cycle.
Dry your clothes pegged on a piece of rope tied between two trees.
5. Natural mosquito repellent
Throw a bundle of dried herbs such as sage, rosemary and lavender on your campfire. The scented smoke will naturally deter those pesky bugs.
6. How to avoid ticks
Make a natural tick repellent: mix one part tea tree oil with two parts water and spray it on your shoes, socks and trouser bottoms.
7. How to make a BBQ pit
- Dig a hole away from trees and foliage, line it with tin foil then arrange some charcoal inside it.
- Light it, and then when the flames have died down and the coals are glowing, carefully place an oven grill rack over the top.
- When you leave, remember to be a good camper – throw away the foil and coals and fill the hole with dirt.
8. DIY firelighters
Dip cotton wool pads in melted wax – easy to make, and less crumbly and smelly than the shop-bought kind. And if you’re short on dry twigs, tortilla chips make excellent kindling.
More camping hacks & tips