When storing sheets and pillowcases, I believe in lavender bags – as many as possible. These pretty scented bags are easy to make by hand.
You will need
Remnants of pretty fabrics
Pins, needle and thread
Ribbons and buttons
Lavender, dried and stripped off the stem
1. Cut out a piece of fabric measuring 18x15cm (7x6in).
2. Fold the fabric in half widthways, with the pattern facing inwards. Pin along the sides, allowing for a 1cm (1/3in) seam, then stitch together.
3. Trim the bottom corners of the bag on the diagonal, then turn it the right side out.
4. Cut a length of ribbon, fold it in half to find the centre point, then stitch this to the back of the bag about 3cm (1¼in) from the top edge (this will be used to tie the bag up). Sew on a button about 3cm (1¼in) from the top on the front of the bag.
5. To make the inner pouch for the lavender, cut another piece of fabric, this time measuring 18x12cm (7x5in). Fold it in half and stitch up the bottom and side, again allowing a 1cm (1/3in) seam. Turn the bag right side out and fill with lavender. Hand stitch all along the top to enclose the lavender.
6. Pop the lavender bag inside your decorative bag and tie the ribbon by wrapping it around the button.